Project supporter: Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Project period: November 2008 – December 2009
Project coordinator: Margit Säre, firstname.lastname@example.org
Project partner: "ECO-TIRAS" International Environmental Association of River Keepers in Moldova
Background of Dniester River Basin
Main aim of the project:
- To raise Moldovan and Ukrainian water management expert’s capacity to effectively promote cooperation on border area water bodies, also increase public awareness about Dniester river environmental condition and –problems.
- To improve cooperation and knowledge exchange between Estonian, Ukrainian and Moldovan water management specialists.
- Introduce Estonian water management experiences on Lake Peipsi example
1. Map the situation and training needs of Dniester river stakeholders in the meeting with the representatives of the key stakeholder groups.
2. Compile training materials, containing information on:
- EU Water Framework Directive (WFD) implementation in Estonia, examples on public participation in watermanagement with the translation of Estonian Water law. See the report: WFD implementation in Estonia.
- European Neighbourhood Policy and its possibilities in Moldova and Ukraine. See the report: Implementation of the European Nieghborhood Policy. Cases of Moldova and Ukraine.
Topics: EU WFD and its implementation in new EU member states, public participation in transboundary water management, fundraising of transboundary watermanagement projects. Presentation by Peipsi CTC expert Gulnara Roll.
4. World Water Day celebration on Dniester river region, March 22, 2009.
5. Moldovan and Ukrainian water management and environmental experts (NGOs, local municipalities) 5 days long study-visit to Estonia and participation on Cross Border cooperation summer school takes place in June 15-19, 2009. The program composes of meetings in Ministry of Environment, environmental NGOs, field trips and summer school lectures and group works.
Programme of the study-visit
6. From September 30 to October 1 conferenece on transboundary water management took place in Odessa, Ukraine. Project manager Margit Säre presented the examples and lessons learned of transboundary Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe management.
7. Moldovan and Ukrainian specialists' visit to Estonia and participation in international conference „Integrated transboundary water management in the EU border areas”, which brings together around 70 people from Estonia, Russia, Balkan Sates, Ukraine, Moldova. Presentations from Moldovan, Ukrainian participants.
Reports and presentations prepared within the project:
Report WFD implementation in Estonia
Report Implementation of the European Nieghborhood Policy. Cases of Moldova and Ukraine
Presentation by Peipsi CTC expert Gulnara Roll in Moldova, March 2009
Presentation by project manager Margit Säre in Ukraine, September 2009