Project name: UNDP/GEF project Development and Implementation of the Lake Peipsi / Chudskoe Basin Management Program
Project period: January 2003 - December 2005
Project manager:Ms. Natalia Alexeeva
Peipsi Center for Transboundary Cooperation, Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
The project was launched to develop the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Basin
Management Program in accordance with the Estonian Water Act, European
Water Framework Directive, and the Russian Water Code. The project was
implemented in Estonia and Russia.
About the project
The overall objective of the Project was to develop and start
implementation of a Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Basin Management Program
including practical recommendations for the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe
nutrient load reduction and prevention and the sustainable conservation
of habitats and eco-systems in the cross-border region.
The project substituted for uncoordinated small-scale projects that
otherwise were implemented separately on the Estonian and Russian sides
without sufficient coordination, education and public information
components and without taking into account interests of local
stakeholder groups and wider public. The project had been designed to
meet the needs of the Estonian and Russian Governments, Joint
Estonian-Russian Transboundary Water Commission, local governments in
the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe area, regional and local NGO, schools and the
The project was supported by the Global Environment Facility (www.gefweb.org), Estonian Government (www.riik.ee/en/valitsus), Russian Government (www.government.ru),
EU TACIS Baltic Line 2000 in Russia, EU 5th RTD program project MANTRA
East, EU LIFE program in Estonia, MATRA program Dutch government, US
Baltic NGO fund, Danish EPA infrastructure projects in Pskov.
Water protection measures
- Lake Peipsi Basin Management Program as a strategic document was
developed for the Estonian-Russian Transboundary Water Commission,
Estonian and Russian authorities as required by the EU, Estonian and
Russian water legislations.
- Public and stakeholder involvement plan was prepared as a part of the Basin Management Program
- Development plan for an innovative and cost effective sewage
treatment for a small rural community as a demonstration project in
- Coordinated program for surface water monitoring between the two countries on Lake Peipsi prepared.
- Specific recommendations for reduction of the nutrient load
Regional Development activities
- A feasibility study was conducted and a strategy for the development
of water- and ecological tourism in the Lake Peipsi region was drafted
in cooperation with regional and local authorities and stakeholders.
- Development of tourism routes in pilot areas - in Estonia (Räpina) was prepared.
- Establishment of the Lake Peipsi museum - one on the Estonian side
of the Lake (Kallaste town) and one on the Russian side of the lake
Environmental Education and Public Participation
- Establishment of the "Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Region Water Club" as a
network of stakeholder groups and a local chapter of the Global Water
Partnership. Organization of annual events on the lake "Peipsi Forum".
- Interactive regional website
in Estonian, Russian and English using Internet GIS and a
semi-moderated listserv in three languages to facilitate communication
and an information exchange system among stakeholders. The interactive
Internet based GIS that encourages sharing the environmental data about
Lake Peipsi region.
- Environmental education curricular for schools on eutrophication
related issues for teachers and schoolchildren from primary and high
- Public information on project and eutrophication problems in the
mass media: brochures about the project and the Lake Peipsi Basin
Management Program, guidance documents for local authorities,
stakeholders on the Management Plan implementation; regular
press-releases, articles, TV and radio interviews, printed materials.
Estonian Ministry of the Environment www.envir.ee
Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation www.mnr.gov.ru
United Nations Development Programme Russia www.undp.ru
Peipsi Center for Transboundary Cooperation www.ctc.ee